Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pea Pre-Sprouting

A sudden frost killed a few of my pea plants so I thought I would show you how to pre-sprout peas.  The success rate is high in this method, so use as many seeds as you'd like to grow.  Wrap them loosely in a light towel.  Wet it just below dripping, then set it in a warm place.  You have to wet it daily to keep it moist enough to sprout.  I wasn't too good at remembering, so I put a little bit of water in a plate and left the towel in it.

Though some sources say to just soak the seeds in a cup of water, this can actually overwhelm the peas and stunt their growth.  I've found this towel method as a good compromise.  After a few days, you'll see little roots sticking out.  Then you can plant them, 1 inch deep and 2 inches apart with roots pointing downward.  This gives them a good head start, and it gives you the confidence of seeing your seed sprout, unlike when it's buried underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment