Saturday, February 5, 2011

Eggplant (Non-Meat)Balls!

Really good.  They actually inspire me to make meat-free spaghetti for my hippie friends.  I followed Aunt Mary's Eggplant Balls on AllRecipes.  This recipe is great because besides the eggplant, everything else is pretty commonly found in a regular household.  
I wasn't quite sure how the eggplant pieces and just that little portion of bread crumbs would be enough to shape balls, but they were actually quite easy to form and kept their shape.  Out of nervousness I added maybe 1/3 cup more of bread crumbs, but I think next time I'll just try it as is.  I'll also probably add either powdered onion or chopped onion, and hope it doesn't mess with the shape.  Otherwise, they were great!  I made some spaghetti with tomato sauce and topped it with these eggplant balls for an almost guilt-free dinner.  (If I had used multi-grain spaghetti and made my own sauce it would have been completely guilt-free, but hey, nobody's perfect.)

No comments:

Post a Comment