Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Perfect Roasted Eggplant

Now that I've moved beyond the world of carrots, I am happily accepting the EGGPLANT as my next project food.  Honestly, I did not start to like eggplant until last month.  I think an encounter in my childhood turned me off, but I fear it no more.

Just a bit about eggplant: according to my research, in earlier centuries the eggplant was believed to make people insane.  But onto more relevant news, the eggplant is also called the aubergine and melongene.  It is very low in calories and sodium, making it a great diet food.  It is often used to replace/replicate meat in dishes because it is so tender and juicy.  Much more detailed information about its history, varieties and nutritional values can be found here

This is a staple recipe, a total beginner's eggplant dish that is ready for improvisation.  Though it looks simple and takes less than 5 minutes prep time, it provides an amazingly soft, buttery side to any pasta meal.  After lemon, try it with basil, parsley, oregano or garlic cloves. 

I sprinkled salt and lemon pepper on mine, then drizzled lots of extra lemon juice on it right before serving.  Many recommend to let the eggplant "sweat" by salting it and letting it sit for 30 minutes to remove excess moisture and prevent bitterness, but I didn't do it and mine turned out yummy.  I'll try it next time and see the difference it makes.  But if you didn't read this ahead and you don't have that extra hour (30 to wait, 30 to cook) before everyone is hungry, I wouldn't "sweat" it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment