Saturday, March 19, 2011

Moroccan Chicken & Eggplant Stew

So this is one of those dishes that I couldn't stop my boyfriend from erupting about.  Yes, I chose the right verb.  Throughout dinner, every few moments he would loudly yell, "Man!  This is good!"  Yes, it's just that good.

What led me to this recipe was the realization that my entire run of eggplant recipes so far have been meat-free.  Eggplant is so commonly used as a substitute for meat that I hadn't even noticed not having it.  That had to change, of course, if I was going to be as diverse as I wanted to be with the ingredient.

This recipe-- Moroccan Chicken & Eggplant Stew-- just sounds darned good, doesn't it?  It is.  I did tweak a little.  Instead of the diced, canned tomatoes I used about 2 cups of fresh, chopped tomatoes and a 15oz can of tomato sauce.  I didn't realize what a difference it would make until my boyfriend called it the most delicious tomato soup he's ever had (which he's never been a fan of.  Until now!)  I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be quite as liquidy as it came out.  I also put in more eggplant than was called for and left the skin on. 

I honestly think that whichever way you make it, improvise it or adjust it, it's going to turn out delicious.  The flavors are just so complementary that even if you hitched up the paprika a notch or added some other herbs or whatever, it will still be so hearty, warm and delicious.  Most of the items are pretty likely in your home too or in your neighborhood (like lemons).  And of course, always be open to improvisation!

The only bad thing: I forgot to take a picture before it disappeared.  Guess I'll have to make it again.  That's a shame :)

No comments:

Post a Comment