Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ehh... What's Up Doc?

Please excuse my unoriginal title, but I'm so excited!  I've chosen my first project vegetable: CARROTS!  These pretty orange sticks will forever conjure images of Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh or, of course, Bugs Bunny in my head. 

Just a bit about carrots: contrary to popular belief, eating carrots raw is not the most nutritious method.  Steamed carrots will actually allow the body to access the vitamin A better.  Carrots are most famous for providing carotenes, an anti-oxidant attached to improving eyesight, but I've also heard they will whiten your teeth. 

I've started off with quite a simple side dish: Roasted Carrots.  Because the sweet crunch is my favorite quality in carrots, I like to preserve it if I choose to cook my carrots.  Roasting with herbs inserts a great aroma into the vegetable without softening it to mush.  It's also incredibly easy.  Just chop up your carrots into 1 1/2 inch fingers (if some fingers are too "fat," just cut lengthwise in half).  Go out and collect some herbs (I used parsley, thyme and rosemary, chopped).  Toss carrots in olive oil, chopped herbs, salt and pepper and bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.  I actually leave the rosemary on its twigs and drape it over the carrot so I can remove it easily before serving.

Viola!  You're done!  20 minutes and you have successfully cooked those carrots in the fridge, utilized your loyal herb garden, and produced a healthy side dish or snack.  This recipe is also very loose, meaning you can improvise, adjust, and add just about any seasonings or herbs you want.  Just remember that sugar-based ingredients (like honey) will burn at temperatures over 350 degrees.  Some suggestions are lemon pepper, chili pepper, and cayenne.

No comments:

Post a Comment