Saturday, May 7, 2011

Wrapping Up (the Eggplant)

I went through many more eggplant recipes than I actually posted.  And I chose to post only those recipes that starred the eggplant or were drastically improved by its addition.  Cooked eggplant is incredibly versatile and can be thrown into virtually any dish, turning that dish into an "eggplant recipe."  I encountered a lot of those, so I posted only those which seemed worthy of having "eggplant" in its title. 

I found a lot though and am proud of my efforts in finding diverse, delicious, elegant and simple recipes to use that eggplant sitting in the fridge.  Never much an eggplant person, I now have such experience and knowledge in spotlighting this often ignored ingredient.

My last word of advice is to go crazy.  If you have eggplant, cook it up using the many different (yet so similar) ways and add it to whatever dish you're making: burgers, pastas, stir-fry, sandwiches, dips, and so much more.  I have found that many, and maybe even most, eggplant recipes will also use tomato and Parmesan cheese.  If you're shopping, remember that combination and you're pretty safe.  Eggplant also goes really well with salty, sweet or spicy marinades so stock up on your vinegars, spices and sauces. 

I have found some great dishes perfect for hosting guests.  Still left to try are fried eggplant balls, red pepper eggplant soup, and the ever popular eggplant Parmesan, which I simply never got around to.  I hope this encourages your own adventures with this delicious love-it-or-hate-it food.

No comments:

Post a Comment