Friday, May 13, 2011

Sparrow Grass

ASPARAGUS is my next vegetable that I am very happy to explore!  It has been often overlooked in my life.  I got used to asparagus, as sad as it is, through the typical dry-chicken-and-vegetables dinners you get at hotel conference room gatherings.  I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.  The plate comes with a piece of chicken and some steamed cauliflower, coined carrots and two asparagus spears-- as bland and neutral as can be. 

To make up for the drab way I've been introduced to asparagus, I hope to make some extremely flavorful, juicy and refreshing asparagus dishes during the next several months.  While researching, I found The Kitchen Project, the most interesting site about the history of the vegetable.  There you can find facts like how peasants from long ago used to call asparagus "Sparrow Grass." 

I also learned through this site that I really want to grow asparagus.  They seem like kind of a commitment though, with 2-3 years underground before you can get a full harvest yield out of them.  It is possible for asparagus to grow 6 to 7 inches in one day, which is an incredible feat!  I just want to be able to witness that.  Of course, the most well-known facts about asparagus are its health benefits and its affect on urine odor.  To learn more about the health benefits, check out Healthier Talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment